CAPA is accepting new members who have a passion to do good things. In order to be eligible, you must first complete the Citizens Police Academy class/training held once a year by the Apex Police. The Citizens Police Academy is a short series of classes designed to inform you on various topics pertaining to the Apex Police Department and the Apex community. Once participants have completed the Academy, many become members of our CAPA volunteer team!
In an effort to bring new and innovative programs to the citizens of Apex, the Apex Police Department conducts a Citizens Police Academy. The Citizens Police Academy offers members of the community a unique opportunity to become familiar with the operations of the department.
About the Academy
During this 10-week course, which meets 1 evening a week, citizens will talk with representatives of each unit and division in the department, including:
— Criminal Investigations
— Criminal Law and Procedure
— Patrol Operations
— Traffic Operations
— Traffic Stops and DWI Arrest
The recruitment and selection process for new officers, accreditation, and crime prevention topics will also be addressed.
The citizens Police Academy is not intended to turn class members into certified police officers or reserve officers. Class members will have no police powers.
If you are interested in attending, please contact coordinating officer Kristofer Shuart at CPO@apexnc.org or (919) 249-3469.
- Be 21 years of age or older
- Be a resident or business owner within the Town of Apex (Preferred)
- Applicants from outside of the Town of Apex may be considered for membership with approval from Community Policing Officer, Captain, or Chief of Police
- Have submitted to a background investigation
- Be a person who has no felony convictions
- Provide a copy of government issued identification (i.e. Driver License, Passport, etc.)
- Submit the Release/Confidentiality Agreement
- Be a person who has not been convicted of a misdemeanor within one year of application for the Citizens Police Academy (CPA) (minor traffic offenses may be excluded)
- Be a United States Citizen
- Foreign nationals will be considered, provided the person is in the United States legally with the appropriate visa or other authorization, and is in compliance with all applicable laws and regulations
For more information about attending the Citizens Academy or to request an application, please contact Officer Kristofer Shuart at CPO@apexnc.org or (919) 249-3469.
Complete information can be found at https://www.apexnc.org/326/Citizens-Academy